Hi, about 3 months ago I was riding a seadoo and when I turned the steering to do a circle I yanked my left wrist, it swelled right away and I had a lot of pain, this happened on a wednesday so when it didn't feel better I went to the drs on Monday, they took an xray and there was nothing broken, since then I have constant pain, if push it on something like my steering wheel while driving it hurts, I cut hair it hurts just sitting aroung it hurts, it also feels tingly a lot, should I go in and have an MRI?
Wow Chas, and here I thought I wrote long run on sentences! Awesome. :)
So let's see.
It sounds like you did actually injure your wrist. Instant swelling like that, assuming that it was instant swelling, points to a ligament or tendon tear.
It might be interesting to get an MRI. If you have the resources, sure, go get one.
(Officially, I am not telling you to get one, or to not get one.)
If you have pain etc but full use of your wrist, then it is unlikely to need surgery. If there was a majority tear, or complete rupture, that's bad news.
MRI is definitely not a bad idea.
Read this story about a time I injured ligament in my thumb. Thumb Ligament Injury
Then answer these questions, and we'll go from there.
1. Do you still have swelling? If so, how much?
2. On a pain scale of 1-10, how bad is the pain when at rest?
How bad is it when you push on something?
3. Can you move your wrist in all directions, full range of motion, etc?
4. What actions/directions hurt the most? Or not hurt at all?
5. Describe the tingly.
6. If you poke around, can you find a single hot spot of pain, like a specific spot on the tendon or ligament. If you have a tear, and press on it, you'll know it.
Joshua Tucker, B.A., C.M.T.
The Tendonitis Expert
|Share Your Story|
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Wrist Tendonitis Q&A.